Shandaken Projects seeks a Programs Manager to begin June or July 2021.
The person in this newly created role will be directly responsible for leading Shandaken’s artist-centered initiatives, working between our Governors Island office and various program locations, where health and safety guidelines allow. It is a full-time position with wide latitude and growth potential for creative self-starters who are intimately familiar with the intricacies of artists’ lives. New York City–based candidates who are able and excited to live nearby our residency program in New Windsor, NY from June through September beginning in 2022—with housing and transportation provided—will be given priority.
This is a soup-to-nuts position ideally suited for someone who possesses administrative prowess, hands-dirty practicability, and social competence in equal measure.
The Programs Manager will be responsible for the planning, promotion, and production of all of Shandaken’s artist-centered initiatives. For these diverse offerings, and for the organization itself, the Programs Manager will be responsible for the following:
ARTIST SERVICE PROGRAMS
• Plan, in concert with the Director, and administer the application cycle, marketing, onsite production, documentation, and follow-up for the residency programs Shandaken: Storm King and Shandaken: Governors Island; a forthcoming public art initiative; a new print studio on Governors Island; and a forthcoming educational initiative
• Communicate with Director and partner organizations about programs’ goals and logistics to fine tune mission-centric offerings
• Be the face of Shandaken for residents at Storm King and Governors Island locations, representing the organization with grace, competence, and affability
• With ability and interest, create and implement new programs from whole cloth in partnership with Director
• Work directly with residents and alumni to produce presentations like public art, pedagogy, site-specific commissions, and exhibitions—often outdoors
• Hire and manage individuals and vendors for production support as needed
• Promote said presentations through media and social media, communicate directly with the public about how to access and navigate Shandaken’s unusual sites
• Oversee and maintain Shandaken Projects’ physical plant—offices, artist work spaces, and semipublic print studio
• Hire and manage interns if desired, cultivating opportunities for their substantive education and personal growth
• Produce public-facing writing, depending on interest and skill level
• Contribute significantly to discussions about the organizations’ goals and future
• Articulate and execute a vision for Shandaken’s social media presence
• Oversee fulfillment for Shandaken’s print sales program
• Support Director in the planning and production of fundraising events
Please see www.shandakenprojects.org for more information about our programs and organization before applying.
Please send a CV along with a letter explaining why you are interested in this position by May 31, 2021 to Nicholas Weist at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Programs Manager.”
• Must hold a valid drivers license
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds
• BA or higher degree preferred
• Must possess at least 3-5 years work experience